Pages

Feb 15, 2016

Seven days in the book world with Wendy Foster Leigh

Wendy is a retired English teacher and administrator (I really wish that she had been my English teacher!) She runs one of TKE's bookgroups, the Armchair Travel Mystery group. An anglophile and cat lover, Wendy and husband can be found in San Francisco, Salt Lake or Central London, depending on the time of year. Here's what she read last week in her own words.

"Right now I an reading the works of Ann Cleeves.  Her writing appeals to me because she creates a place and characters which are compelling.  I have discovered that I want to read every book in her two series.  I finished book one of the Vera mysteries (The Crow Trap) and would like the detective, Vera, to be a friend who would share her own strengths and weaknesses with me.  I am on the 6th book in the Shetland series (Thin Air).  Jimmy Perez, the detective in this series is a vulnerable man with the patience to sit silently and listen to others.  The setting in both the books is important--Newcastle and Northern England and the Shetland Isles. The plots are complicated and the characters well developed. 

I did finish Green Island by Shawna Yang Ryan and am rereading The Minotaur, Barbara Vine, for the book group."


Wendy's week in a nutshell


Crow Trap, Ann Cleeves (1999)
Thin Air, Ann Cleeves     (2014)
Green Island, Shawna Yang Ryan (Feb 23rd 2016)
Minotaur, Barabara Vine  (2005)

No comments: