Pages

Mar 28, 2016

Seven days in the book world with Rachel Haisley

Rachel is one of the kids book experts at TKE, although she reads across a wide range of genres. A graduate of the U she is now studying Library Science. She loves puppies, hip hop, funky shoes and bad knock knock jokes. She has also played roller hockey and has one of the most infectious laughs at TKE. Here is Rachel's week in her own words

"This week I finally finished reading the children’s submissions for Mountains and Plains Independent Booksellers Association’s place-based literary award for “Reading the West.” The three gems I wrapped up this week:

In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse, Joeseph Marshall (2015), which was a lovely, slightly fictionalized retelling of the story of the Lakota warrior.

Fig, Sarah Elizabeth Schantz (2015), a heart-wrenching tale of mental illness about a young girl with OCD and her schizophrenic mother. Not for the faint of heart.

Down from the Mountain, Elizabeth Fixmer (2015), which was also fairly gut-wrenching, the story of a young girl growing up in a secluded cult in Colorado.

While reading the for Reading the West was a great experience that brought me into contact with a handful of books I never would have encountered otherwise, it will be very nice to take a little break from this kind of “assigned reading” and get back to what I really enjoy. Out of all of the literary genres, I tend to gravitate to nonfiction when I am reading for my own pleasure.

Evicted, Matthew Desmond (2016): I read an abbreviated version of this work in the New Yorker recently, and couldn’t resist delving deeper into the subject of rental properties, poverty, and Milwaukee.

Lust and Wonder, Augusten Burroughs (2016): I have always been devoted fan of (this) Burroughs’ dark and eccentric retelling of his life, and of course, his newest installment does not disappoint.

The Badass Librarians of Timbuktu, Joshua Hammer (2016): I am absolutely in awe of this group of archivists working in Mali to save a huge collection of manuscripts from the hands of Al Qaeda. Hammer weaves together centuries of Islamic history into a thrilling heist story of dedicated book lovers, working tirelessly to preserve North African intellectual traditions. I can’t wait to talk about this book with everyone!

H is for Hawk, Helen MacDonald (2015): Goodness, I love this book. Full of spot-on musings about humans, animals and literature, this is exactly the kind of literary nonfiction I live for. Helen will be visiting us at TKE next month, and I cannot wait to fangirl all over her.

Though I find nonfiction to be my preferred genre, that doesn’t mean I don’t really enjoy a good novel.

The Thing About Jellyfish, Ali Benjamin (2015): This National Book Award finalist discusses life and grief in a fresh, vibrant voice. Aimed at middle-grade readers (ages 8-12) this is a novel that will touch readers of all ages.

All Things Cease to Appear, Elizabeth Brundage (2016): I’ve only just begun this lovely literary thriller, the story of a woman murdered by her psychopath husband, so all I can say at this point is that I am completely captivated.

Happy Reading!"

Rachel's week in a nutshell

In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse (2015)
Fig (2015)
Down from the Mountain (2015)
Evicted (2016)
Lust and Wonder (2016)
The Badass Librarians of Timbuktu (Out April 19 2016)
H is for Hawk (2015)
The Thing About Jellyfish (2015)
All Things Cease to Appear (2016)


No comments: