Pages

May 23, 2016

Seven days in the book world with Ann Cannon

Ann Cannon is a native Utahn, has football in her blood, she is an award winning writer (Cal Cameron by Day, Spider-Man by Night won the Delacorte Press Prize for outstanding first YA novel), she teaches, collects gnomes, writes a column for the Salt Lake Tribune, works at TKE, is a mother to five boys, one husband and a menagerie that includes a parrot and a giant newfoundland called Tinkerbell.

Here is Ann's week in her own words.

I’ve begun to accept a hard truth about myself.  I am an “aspirational” reader.  By that I mean I aspire to read a LOT more than I actually do, because like that T-shirt says, “So many books, so little time.”
            Here’s what’s in my aspirational pile right now:  The Tokyo Zodiac Murders by Soji Shimada, Summerlost by Ally Condie, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty, The Shepherd’s Life by James Rebanks, Straight Man by Richard Russo, Former People by Douglas Smith, and The Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester.
            Phew!
            I am also reading (slowly) The Nuns of Sant’Ambrogio by Hubert Wolf (because who can resist true stories about sex and clergy), The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore (which I will be lucky to finish before I die), and an ARC for another Russian story called The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden.  I obviously have a thing for Russian stuff.  Clearly I had a previous life there.  It was short and miserable, and I was cold all the time.
            I did ACTUALLY read Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift this week.  What a perfect poem of a book that is.  Gorgeous.  Every piece of that novel fits together seamlessly.  The last thing I read that really satisfied me was The Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry—a terrifically intelligent YA novel with crossover appeal.

Ann's week in a nutshell

The Nuns of Sant'Ambrogio (2016)
The Romanovs (2016)
Bear and the Nightingale (coming Jan 2017)
Mothering Sunday (2016)
Passion of Dolssa (2016)

Charlotte's Rose 9781607811411 and Sophie's Fish 9780670012916 are both available now

No comments: