Pages

Aug 15, 2016

Seven days in the book world with Mark Pryor

Mark is the author of the Hugo Marston series and grew up in Hertfordshire, England. He had a number of jobs in the UK that stood him in good stead for his current career including ski instructor and print journalist. Moving to the US in the mid nineties he studied journalism and law at Chapel Hill and Duke respectively passing with as he puts it 'honours, a lot of debt and one helluva wife.'

Mark's day job is Assistant District Attorney with the Travis County DA's office. He lives in Austin, Texas with his wife and children.

Here is Mark's week in his own words.

It’s funny that I’m writing this post this week. You see, normally I don’t get to read as much as I’d like, what with a full-time job, three kids, and writing two books a year! But this week is an exception, for some reason, so I actually have something to share.

First, we’ll ignore the police reports that I read every day as part of my job as a prosecutor here in Austin. They tend to be a litany of stolen cars, home burglaries, and other unsavory (and not so interesting) stories!

So we can begin with a novel that I’m literally launching into it tonight while my son has soccer practice: What Remains Of Me, by Alison Gaylin. I’ve heard such good things about it, and I’ve gotten to know her at several book events. She’s a lovely person and I’m excited to get started, I know I won’t be disappointed.

I’m also finishing up a biography called Gift Of Darkness, Growing Up In Occupied Amsterdam, by Craig Comstock. It’s a fascinating look at a terrible period in our history, and is proving to be valuable research material. You see, I’m slowly plotting a book set in Amsterdam in 1942, but before I get to work I need to educate myself. To that end, we just got back from a trip there, actually, where we saw the Resistance Museum and the Anne Frank House.

But that’s not all! I also have a .pdf copy of an upcoming novel in my bag. It’s called No Way To Run, by a first-time author named Holly Crichton. It’s her memoir, and her publisher has asked me to read it with an eye to providing a blurb. I’m about 80 pages in and it’s riveting—short version: she’s a former race jockey, paralyzed in an accident, and living with an abusive husband who…. Well, I won’t give too much away, but like I said, it’s riveting.

Last of all this week… I have a copy of Asterix and Cleopatra on the go. I will never stop loving, and reading, these wonderful books!

Mark's week in a nutshell

What Remains Of Me (2016)
Gift of Darkness, Growing Up In Occupied Amsterdam (2015)
No Way To Run (Nov 2016)
Asterix and Cleopatra (1969)

Paris Librarian is out now 9781633881778

No comments: