Pages

Aug 25, 2008

The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Burrows

Another spectacular title. I read this over the weekend and I'm not taking it back I'll buy a copy because I enjoyed it so much and know I will read it many times in the future.

I'll post my review in a moment but first a few observations. The bits about booksellers in here are well observed. We don't do it for the money - we do it because we love to read and recommend books. The three questions. What's it about? Is it any good? and Have you read it? come up on a daily basis.

Every family in England has a war story that floats around from generation to generation and ours has to do with a doodlebug - the soft and fuzzy name for a V1 flying bomb. Granny Curtis my Mum's mum heard a doodlebug go over. Doodlebugs are OK as long as you can hear them, when the engine cut out you had about 30 seconds before the thing plunged to earth and possibly blew you to bits. This one was faulty and the engine kept cutting back in. Mum told me that every time the engine stopped Gran backed a little further towards the open fire, fortunately the V1 blew up just before she toasted her behind.

No comments: