Pages

Aug 21, 2007

How the Irish Saved Civilisation and Smoke and Mirrors

The Cahill book was a fluke - I was about to shelve it when I read the back. I grew up with "the troubles" as they so charmingly called such a dirty situation. IRA was a swear-word, incident equalled bomb and innocent people were fair game. I watched a policeman get blown off his feet by a bomb in London and the building I worked in was one of many "soft targets". None of that endears you to a people. But this book goes a little way to re-dressing the balance. After the fall of Rome the Irish scribes saved a lot of manuscripts from destruction and transcribed them. This is the first of Cahill's Hinges of History series - fascinating.

I bought Smoke and Mirrors sight unseen. I love Neil Gaiman's work - especially the collaboration with Terry Pratchett on Good Omens. It's a collection of his short stories and I highly recommend it.

No comments: