Pages

Jun 22, 2009

Finished Atlantis book during a thunderstorm

OK now this is what I mean by a book that grabs me. Hunt for Atlantis comes out in October with another Wilde/Chase adventure The Tomb of Hercules arriving a month later - trying to get the arc for that one. Three fast moving thunderstorms, driving rain and throughout I was sitting out on our deck glued to the Atlantis arc, only stopping when the wind got so strong it unhooked the awning and stowed it for me.

I'll post the full review in October but in the meantime some thoughts. I loved the vague sense of unease that McDermott builds up until he springs the twist on you that I didn't see coming because I was too busy trying to ferret out the traitor in the Frost's camp. I love the idea of having the bodyguard be a coarse Yorkshireman, nb action heroes don't have to be drop dead gorgeous, with an accent that fell off the back of a Sandhurst lorry. McDermott really puts his characters through it - hurting them quite badly and there's an in joke with a helicopter that turns out not to be funny at all. Pacey, action packed and I learned a little Plato too, this would make a great movie.

No comments: