Pages

Jul 23, 2010

Speaking for the Dead for a worthy cause

So you’re a successful published author but after a certain amount of time some of your early back catalogue has gone out of print and the rights revert to you. What do you do with them? If you’re Paul Levine – you take full advantage of the e book revolution and give all the proceeds to charity.

Levine’s first Jake Lassiter novel 'To Speak for the Dead' – first published 20 years ago - is now out in e form and if you’ve never read him before this is a good way to get caught up before his new Lassiter novel comes out next year. Plus every penny goes to The Four Diamonds Fund – Levine's pet cancer charity.

You can tell a lot about a character by their dialogue and Paul had the novel idea of interviewing his creation - here’s an excerpt

Paul: Then let’s talk about you. Have you changed much in the 20 years since “To Speak for the Dead” was published?

Jake: You tell me. I don’t carry a Blackberry, an I-Phone, Pre, or a purse. You won’t find my mug on My Space or Facebook. I don’t have a life coach, an aroma therapist, or a yoga instructor, and I don’t do Pilates.

Paul: So you’re not exactly trendy?

Jake: I’m a carnivore among vegans, a brew and burger guy in a Chardonnay and paté world. I open the door for women and walk next to the street in case a horse and buggy jump the curb.


Paul: Do you have a philosophy of life?

Jake: I try to do the least damage possible. I never park in the handicapped space or toss gum wrappers on the sidewalk. I help little old ladies cross the street, and sometimes, tall young ones, too.


Having read the full interview I went straight to the site and bought my copy – as a pdf – heaven knows I’ve read enough manuscripts on-line since I’ve been on authonomy.

If you want to discover a series that some say is better than Grisham and do your good deed for the day then head over to

http://www.paul-levine.com/content/jake-lassiter.asp

Thanks to Nicole for pointing me at yet another good legal series.

No comments: