Pages

Jun 23, 2013

Thoughts on Rose Under Fire

Regular readers to this blog will know that Codename Verity was one of my favourite books of last year. Yesterday, I finished reading the companion novel Rose Under Fire which our lovely manager brought back for me from BEA, signed (!) and wow!

In many ways Rose is a continuation of Wein's first WWII novel, some of the characters have crossed into this book but this is the kind of history lesson I can really get behind. After reading it I had my own moment of silence, as Wein says in the afterword, although the character of Rose is fictional, Ravensbruck isn't. The experiments carried out on the 'Rabbits' happened, some books stay with you long after you've read the final page, Rose is haunting, uplifting, sad, rebellious, spirited and hopeful and should be on the curriculum of every school in the land.

Rose Under Fire comes out in September, full review then.

No comments: