Pages

Aug 24, 2009

Accents can be a curse as well as a blessing

Over the last two days my english accent has landed me in a little trouble. Not in the store - at least not so far. So here's the story. I was posting a couple of submissions and a birthday card for a friend who lives in Mallorca, Spain. The guy posting his letters held the letter box open for me and I thanked him. Then he looked at me, looked at the letter and gave me what we at home used to called the stink eye. Then he told me that you english should be ashamed of yourself. I managed to not say 'what for posting a letter' and I don't think he was outside my house at 5am this morning when it was raining and the sprinklers were on so I can only guess that he was holding me personally responsible for the UK government's latest dumb decision. To clarify my position life means life if a convicted terrorist has terminal cancer - tough let him die in prison. The incident left me a little shaken and the more I think about it the angrier it makes me.

No comments: