Pages

Aug 31, 2009

Monday Roundup

For the last few days I've been flat on my back - I hate being ill and I was wiped so I didn't get a chance to jump into any books. Today however I'm fighting fit, so back to it.

Finished the Ellory yesterday - A Quiet Belief in Angels is already out but it is interesting how the story of Joseph Vaughan mirrors Ellory's life. Good page turning mystery, Vaughan's voice is strong and he doesn't go deep into gory details. Also finished Lev Grossman's The Magicians and while there is much to like about this book I didn't love it. There are nods to Harry Potter, Narnia, etc but towards the end there was more humping than fighting and one character who was begging to be killed off wasn't. Plus magic wasn't the gift it was supposed to be but Quentin could never turn away from it completely despite everything he lost.

Also did my first book talk last week which was scary good. I blew through the nine or so books I had but the twenty (!!) - or so ladies that attended said they enjoyed it and they picked nearly all of the books I pitched them. The other thing I did was start reading chapters from the Nikki Heat novel by 'Richard Castle' a) to see if it was any good and b) to try and suss out who abc are using to write it and so far my guess would be Patterson.

September tomorrow and I can finally post a bunch of reviews I've been sitting on for months!

No comments: