Pages

Aug 8, 2011

San Fran Saturday

Saturday afternoon - we regrouped and headed for West Portal Books for our book group discussion of Murder in the Latin Quarter by Cara Black.  West Portal books is a lot like TKE, lovely, knowledgeable staff, good layout, well-stocked mystery section (back left-hand corner) and in supporting a fellow indie I came away with a new Laurie King book, the follow-up to Dan Airely's Predictably Irrational, a small book of French stories and a copy of Wired (my on-plane reading)

As more and more of the San Francisco book group arrived, Wendy introduced us to them, as I've said before Wendy knows everybody, I met Cara Black, who asked how my book was coming along and so I gave her and David the doctor/cartoonist my elevator pitch - and started talking with my hands again.  There was Sherri who has karma when it comes to finding parking spaces, Marsha and Dick, I had a long chat with Marsha afterwards. She and Wendy and Eleanor, who guided us around the mission district yesterday all taught in the Lick-Wilmerding English department. And many more all arrived chatting and laughing, it was like the best kind of cocktail party. Then we all crammed into the back room for our discussion and chat with Cara, which was fascinating, informative and funny.  I would've filmed the whole thing but as soon as the discussion began it would've seemed rude to just film and never truly participate.  Cara signed a load of her books and then we all headed to the Oppenheim's house for dinner where Wendy gave a lovely speech and gave the San Francisco group a copy of Betsy's book.

Thanks to the San Francisco group for making us feel so welcome, to Cara for meeting with us, to West Portal Books for hosting us and to Wendy who set the whole trip up.

No comments: