Pages

Oct 5, 2011

Thoughts on The Limit

I don't love all motor sport; Nascar sends me to sleep but Formula One racing is a breed apart.  I was raised on it and last year I got to attend my first ever live race in Singapore.  So when The Limit appeared in my box I was pretty excited because up until a week before I'd never heard of Phil Hill - not a lot of people have.  He is the only American ever to win a F1 world championship (1961).  Phil Hill won the championship at Monza and he was driving a Ferrari - the Tifosi (Ferrari supporters) must've gone nuts.  But Hill's name doesn't ring any bells with Americans because the final race of the season at Watkins Glen Ferrari didn't bother to attend so Hill was denied the chance to race in front of his home crowd. 

Racing drivers in the 1960s were more like WWII fighter pilots or gladiators, their life expectancy was short.  They wore simple coveralls and leather flying helmets and goggles, death was a constant companion and it stalked the spectators as well.  The Limit comes out in November - your armchair boy racer will love it.

No comments: