Pages

Jun 17, 2009

Books for older clients

We had a reading by Andre Dubus III yesterday he read for a while and then did a very lively q and a. If you missed it check out the Garden of Last Days. But back to the reason for this post. We quite often get customers coming in for books for their mother who is 'in her 70's or 80's a case in point was last night when a chap came in wanting a couple of suggestions for mysteries for his 80 year old mother. Now this might seem obvious but nothing with any sex or gratuitous violence and they mostly do not want hardbacks.
Here's my list

Beekeepers Apprentice - Laurie King first of the Mary Russell Sherlock Holmes series
Three Bags Full - Laurie Swan - a whodunnit where the detectives are sheep!
Nine Taylors - Dorothy L Sayers - a Lord Peter Whimsey Mystery set in the 30's I think
Gurnsey Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Schaeffer - a story told in letters difficult subject (occupation) dealt with with grace and quite a bit of humour.

Also Nancy one of our regular customers recommended Hothouse Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire by Margot Berwin I'd already been drawn to the cover because it is hot pink ie very eyecatching. So I'll be juggling books again, Troubles is turning out to be a meaty book, Atlantis well that's pure pleasure and now the hot pink book as it will now be known from now on. I've abandoned Shadow and I've bought a cookbook - one even I can use called Supernatural Cooking.

Oh and an agent update I'm still actively sending out query letters and being patient.

No comments: