Pages

Dec 7, 2011

A new discovery


John Verdon’s Think of a Number quite literally landed at my feet the other day. I picked it up, read the blurb on the back and bought it on the spot. I was not disappointed, Verdon’s lead Dave Gurney is an investigator who has put away numerous serial killers before taking early retirement and moving to the catskill mountains at the urging of his beautiful, but long-suffering wife. However, retirement doesn’t sit well with Dave and an old friend from college is about to dump a fascinating puzzle in his lap. The puzzle, the plot and the pacing are all top-notch. I love a mystery that keeps me guessing but allows me a few small victories in working out what’s going on and this delivers. So much so that I’m buying his latest Shut Your Eyes Tight in hardback tomorrow.

No comments: