Pages

Jun 24, 2014

Recyling plot ideas

I have a folder marked 'story ideas' and it goes back far beyond 2007 which is when I did my first nanowrimo. I look at them occasionally but up until now I've never picked one out, blown the dust off it and used it in a new draft.

Here's the crazy thing, the next book (Excalibur) has a launch party close to the beginning and I'd been looking for a recognizable venue. Somewhere big enough to have a ton of guests but small enough to control access and keep the press at bay and I was going to use the naval academy at Greenwich because I was only there a couple of months ago and the details are still fresh. I started writing it and Greenwich wouldn't work, felt flat and then I remembered Battersea Power Station. I saw it every morning we were in London because our hotel room was high up and facing towards it. A quick search of my story idea folder and there it was, it needed a couple of character changes but it slotted right in. I wrote that nearly two years ago! How cool, and weird is that?

No comments: