Pages

Apr 1, 2009

Agent or no agent??

Two days of solid research would seem to suggest that agent = foot in the door. Now all I have to do is land an agent - hah! all I have to do. When I say land an agent I mean a good agent - there are a ton of scammers out there. Did you know that there are no actual qualifications you can get to become a literary agent. No people there isn't a literary agents academy. If the agent is a member of the ARR - the Association of Author's Representatives then that's a good sign but some of the good ones are not members of ARR so go figure.

Cautionary tale - I very nearly fell into a scam within the first 30 minutes of searching. I won't name the agency but I had actually bookmarked their e-form but just to be on the safe side almost as an afterthought I ran a search using their name and came upon the site 'Writers Beware' which listed agency x on their list of the top 20 worst agencies!

Writing is most definitely the fun part. I love to write and I love to tinker with what I've written to hopefully make it better. This next bit is going to require some serious hard graft.

One thing that would really help me out. If any of you have had a bad experience with an agency or agent, names would be nice. Hard work is one thing but wasted effort is quite another.

No comments: