Pages

Sep 3, 2009

curse of the arcs

I've come to the conclusion that arcs have blunted my judgement. In life before TKE - yes there was such a thing - the book jacket told me all I needed to know. I bought the book, read the book, loved the book (or in a few cases left said book in a variety of public places - youth hostels, trains, on several transatlantic flights so that someone else could dispose of it but lets not dwell on that.)

Now my modus operandi goes like this, hear about a hot new author, go to work and look for the arc, read arc, blurb, etc. Not this time. Two books that sound really good and we have no arcs for them. Worse than that we haven't got any on order. What's a girl to do? Go back to the old fashioned way. So yesterday I ordered copies of Crush by Alan Jacobson and The Twelve by William Gladstone. They had better not suck!

Good news for those of us who love Flavia De Luce - Alan Bradley is hard at work on a second novel. If you haven't read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Bradley's first Flavia mystery, then what are you waiting for? Flavia is a great character and in crossover land I would love to see what Jasper Fforde's bookworld would make of a meeting between his Thursday Next and little Flavia.

No comments: