Pages

Sep 7, 2009

From my own collection

Come on admit it. Like me you all have books that you don't loan out - to anyone - ever. And I respect that, really I do because in some cases the books a) went out of print in the 80's. b) are priceless signed first editions or c) you still have that battered old copy of Lady Chatterly's Lover with PC 4 SL in it. Anyway I digress. On our UK trip in May I managed to bring home both my remaining Lovejoy books and this afternoon I re-read the Sleepers of Erin and fell for the rouge all over again.

Lovejoy is a charming, roughish antiques dealer, he is also what is known as a 'divvie' someone who can tell just by looking at an antique if it's real or fake. His track record with women and local law enforcement is about as solvent as his bank account. In East Anglia he's something of a legend amongst the antiques community. Lovejoy's antiques patter is as fascinating as his schemes are harebrained and he's not a man to be mucked about. The sleepers of the title are part of a scam going down in Ireland with Lovejoy trying to stay one step ahead of a gang of con artists and keep both feet out of his own grave. Aided by a ward sister and her suitor Gerald - who resembles a stick insect it's up to Lovejoy to sink the scammers and liberate a few choice antiques along the way.

So that's Sleepers of Erin for you. Better yet Gash didn't stop writing Lovejoy novels, he's still out there with a brand new one coming in December!

No comments: