Pages

Sep 30, 2009

Wednesday Roundup

Back from chilling out in Vegas. I've just started 'Paris Under Water' by Jackson. Non fiction and so far fascinating - who knew Paris flooded - when I think of floods I think of Venice. Bought the first of the 'Turkish Delight' mystery series by Mehmet Somer because I just requested an arc for the third in the series and thought maybe I should read the other two first! I also have in my box a manuscript which I'm going to give the 50 page treatment.

At breakfast this morning Sally or 'the beloved' as we call her said that on a Utah talkshow they called the staff at TKE snooty. I've worked with this lot getting on for four years and they are like family to me and they are lovely, whip-smart on their chosen subject and fairly savvy on the rest of the inventory, we try and greet all our regular customers by name and we say hi to anyone who walks into the store. How is that snooty? Comments welcome - good bad whatever - I want to know what you the book buying public think of us staffers at TKE.

Finally one of the blogs I read on a regular basis is Nathan Bransford's - an agent at Curtis Brown - and he always has some great insights into the industry but yesterday's post bordered on genius. As a writer I'm working my way through the list of agents I can submit to with varying degrees of success. Nathan suggests that while submitting to an editor at a big press is a no-no, you can still submit to smaller presses. In fact some of the people commenting on his post said that they got a deal with a small press before they got an agent. I'm still going to work my way through the list but at the same time I'll start compiling a list of small presses.

No comments: