Pages

Apr 5, 2012

Thoughts on Luther, The Calling

I'll say it now, when I see the words TV tie in it makes my heart sink into my boots because with only a few rare exceptions (one of them being the Nikki Heat books by "Richard Castle") they are written more as a marketing tool, the characters are 2D at best.

I am pleased to say that Neil Cross's Luther prequel also falls into the rare exceptions category. Cross created the TV series so he knows the characters inside and out. And he answers a question which I asked when Luther first appeared on screen, dangling a man over the side of a building to get information and then sending him to meet his maker. What had the man done to warrant such a reaction? Cross gives us a story that answers that question, explains Luther's marriage woes and his penchant for throwing away the rule book to get a result and takes us right to the grab-you-by-the-throat opening of the BBC America series. Full review when Luther, The Calling is published in September.

No comments: